- STAAR Homework - Week 3 homework is all on paper. The reading passage/questions and the math worksheet were sent home today. Please, have your child complete and return by Friday.
- Economics Fair Products - Students should be working on their 35 - 40 products at home. Your child has 8 days to get the products made. All products will need to come to school on Wednesday, April 13 for the Economics Fair. Parents are allowed to help their child bring their products into the school (in the morning).
- Field Day Volunteers - Please complete the form if you'd like to come to Field Day to help out (lunch time, field day stations, Kona Ice). We only need 2 - 3 parents from our class. Please let me know if you have completed the form and are wanting to volunteer. I need to let the office know who is coming to help out our class. Field Day is April 14th.
- Student Registration for next year (2022 - 2023 school year) - A registration form will be sent in your child's Thursday folder this week. This form must be completed and returned back to school next week.
- Economics Fair (purchasing items) - The Economics Fair is next Wednesday, April 13. An envelope will be coming home in your child's Thursday folder this week. Please, read the blue information sheet on the front of the envelope. Place money for your child to buy products in the envelope. Complete the green form on the back of the envelope. Return the envelope this Friday, Monday (April 11) or Tuesday (April 12).
- Home Access - Check HAC to see how your child is doing on assignments and quizzes. If you see a "M" that means your child is missing that assignment and still needs to turn it in. Students completed an assignment on "perimeter" last week. Perimeter is a concept we covered in November. I was surprised to see that only 1 student did well on this assignment. This assignment was meant as a review and should not have been too challenging. With all of this said, I will be reteaching perimeter to the entire class tomorrow for our math lesson. Then, students will get the assignment returned to them to make corrections for 70%. Please, continue to go over math concepts with your child at home in preparation for STAAR in May. Thank you!
- Reading Unit - Our current unit: Biographies and other literary text. We continue to practice reading comprehension strategies (nonfiction text features, main/central idea, context clues, problem/solution, inferencing, summarizing, fact vs opinion, cause/effect, author's purpose, character traits, theme, sequencing events, point of view).
- Writing Unit - Our current unit: Nonfiction and Persuasive Writing. We will be writing informational pieces including our PBL project, script for our ecosystems project, and so much more!
- Science Unit - Our current unit is on Environments, Ecosystems and Food Chains. We have explored 5 different environments (forests, deserts, grasslands, wetlands, oceans/coral reefs, tundra). We will continue to dive deeper into ecosystems by learning more about the animals and plants that live in each ecosystem. Test scheduled for Wednesday, April 13.
- Math Unit - Our current math unit is on Place Value up to 100,000. This week we've spent time learning how to write a 4 digit number in many ways (word form, standard form, expanded form and using base ten blocks). We've also spent 2 days on rounding larger numbers (up to 10,000). Test scheduled for Thursday, April 14.
- Think Sheet - If a student continues to break or not follow our class's Social Contract or PAWS expectations, the student will need to complete a Think Sheet during recess time. This Think Sheet will go home for parents to discuss with their child, sign the sheet and return it the next day.
- Stay informed - Make sure you have the FREE Class Dojo app on your phone so you can see messages from me. Friendly Reminder messages are sent out a couple times a week! Plus, I usually post 1 - 2 pictures a week in our Class Story on Class Dojo showing some of the activities we do during our school day!
- Scholastic Book Order - If you are interested in getting new books for your child, consider ordering books from our Scholastic Book Club. Order online at: clubs.scholastic.com/ Our class code is: NP79X
3rd Grade Teacher