- Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences: This Monday, October 10th. Please, check you time by clicking on the link. Conferences are 15 - 20 minutes. Very tight schedule. If we need to talk longer about a specific issue, we can schedule another time to talk at school or over the phone. Fall Conference Sign Up
- Homework: In an effort to save paper, we are asking that the kids just "pull up" the homework assignment on the home computer or laptop and complete the work in the homework spiral notebook. Students should label each pro The link to the 3rd grade website is on the "Welcome" page. Students are expected to turn in their homework spiral notebook every Friday morning.
- Xtramath - Great website for students to brush up on their math facts! This will be perfect for homework (math facts)!
- Bluebonnet Book Program - Check out the list of Bluebonnet books HERE Our class also has a Bluebonnet Book Wish List - Click Here. The kids are loving this program!!!
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access every week! Link to Home Access Center.
- Wobble Stools - Wobble stools are an alternative seating option for your child. Wobble stools help provide students with the ability to wiggle as they sit. They help some students to focus more on their work too. This is a parent purchased item. With that said, at the end of the year the wobble stool is yours. Your child can then use them in 4th and 5th grade. I would recommend the 18" or 20" stool (depending on your child's current height). The 14" stool is just too short. Here are a couple of websites of where to make this purchase if you are interested. Really Good Stuff - Wobble Stool and Active Learning Stool - Amazon.com
- Optional - Headphones: Your child may still want headphones or earbuds for our classroom. A few of them have already broken. I would ask your child. These can be purchased at Target, Walmart, HEB, etc. The headphones/earbuds will be left here at school.
- October 10th - No School Day - Fall Parents/Student/Teacher Conferences
- October 11th - Science Test - Changes in Matter and Mixtures
- October 13th - Family Fitness Night @ Elsa England. Starts at 6:00pm - 7:30pm.
***Scholastic October book flyers went home yesterday. There is a coupon for a FREE book too!
In writing, we worked on launching our PBL project. We will start poetry next week.
In reading, we continue to learn many different reading strategies in which to help us as better understand the text we are reading. The students completed a Character Trait worksheet with their reading partner on a book they read together. We also go logged onto iStation and took the pre-test. This is an online reading program. We will use this program from time to time throughout the year.
In math, we took our math test last Tuesday. The kids got a chance to see how they did today. We went over each problem on the math test as a class as well. We also started our next math unit - Multiplication. The kids will learn many ways in which to solve a multiplication problem. So far we have practice the Equal Groups strategy (drawing out the groups or items) and Arrays (rows and columns). We've really only worked with multiplies of 5's and 10's at this point. There are tons of multiplication games on this website under "Math links" for your child to practice!
In science, we are in deep with our Changes of Matter and Mixtures unit. We've done some work on STEMscopes (online science program) - reading passages on the topic with comprehension questions, completed a Web Surfing worksheet (going to 3 websites reading and finding information), and had fun doing an Investigation game. We also did a Birdseed Mixture Activity - looking at ways in which to separate the mixture (physical properties). Then, ended the week with some fun Mixture Stations in the common area. Test will be on Tuesday.
In social studies, the kids learned about being a good citizen and our rights and responsiblities using Brain Pop Jr and exploring on the iCivic website.