- Optional - Headphones: Your child may still want headphones or earbuds for our classroom. A few of them have already broken. I would ask your child. These can be purchased at Target, Walmart, HEB, etc. The headphones/earbuds will be left here at school.
- Scholastic Book Orders due on September 26th (online orders - Your Class Activation Code NP79X). The link to order is here Scholastic Book Clubs . We have a Class Wish List here if you so choose to purchase books for our classroom library as well. These kids love to read!!! Plus, I get points for every book order that is placed, which means tons of FREE books for our classroom. Please, take a moment to look at the flyers online and place an order. You can order from other grade levels too!
- Xtramath - Great website for students to brush up on their math facts! This will be perfect for when homework starts up (math facts)! I sent home an Xtramath enrollment information flyer yesterday in Thursday folders. Please, take a few moments to enroll your child.
- Bluebonnet Book Program - Check out the list of Bluebonnet books HERE Our class also has a Bluebonnet Book Wish List - Click Here. The kids are loving this program!!!
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access soon. I will begin to post grades next week. Link to Home Access Center.
- Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences: October 10th. Please, click on the link to sign up for a time slot. If one of these times does not work for you, we can always do a conference over the phone and/or email me a time. I will see what I can do to accommodate your schedule. Thanks! Fall Conference Sign Up
- Wobble Stools - As I mentioned in last night's parent night presentation, wobble stools are an alternative seating option for your child. Wobble stools help provide students with the ability to wiggle as they sit. They help some students to focus more on their work too. This is a parent purchased item. With that said, at the end of the year the wobble stool is yours. Your child can then use them in 4th and 5th grade. I would recommend the 18" or 20" stool (depending on your child's current height). The 14" stool is just too short. Here are a couple of websites of where to make this purchase if you are interested. Really Good Stuff - Wobble Stool and Active Learning Stool - Amazon.com
- Parent Night Presentations - If you were unable to make to Parent Night last night, here are the main presentation that was shown in the cafeteria. Third Grade Presentation
*Special "Thank You" to parents who have placed Scholastic Book Orders - James's parents, Justin's parents and Benjamin's parents. Thank you, these book orders help us to earn FREE books for our classroom! Keep those book orders coming!
- September 21st - Author Aaron Reynolds Book purchases due
- September 28th - Early Release Day -must provide sack lunch - lunch is at 10:30, pick up 12:00
- October 10th - No School Day - Fall Parents/Student/Teacher Conferences
In writing, we continue to generate ideas and small moments in preparation of our personal narrative. This week we learned about "Watermelon Ideas" compared to "Seed Ideas" with a tasty treat - I brought in watermelon for the class. Ask your child the difference! We also began organizing our thinking for our personal narratives by zooming in on our seed moment.
In reading, we continue to build up our reading stamina and examine ourselves as "good" readers. The kids did a Stop & Jot reading response for a grade. We also learned a new reading strategy - Visualization! To visualize and picture the what's going on in the book in our minds. We practiced this skill with a section from Charlotte's Web. Next week, we will do another visualization for a grade. The kids are also getting time to go and take Bluebonnet Quizzes during reading. They have really embraced this awesome reading program!
In math, our focus was on place value. I might suggest that your son/daughter continue to work on place value concepts at home by going to ixl.com. The kids know how to log into ixl.com, plus I sent home their log in information in their Thursday folders a couple of weeks ago. Area of focus: Place Value. They can continue with the skills in this specific area. Google Classroom also has some math links that I have shared with them in class. Last but not least, I have tons of math links on my website "Math Links". Next week, we will continue with place value and jump into addition and subtraction with 2-digit and 3-digit numbers.
In science, we dug deep in to our matter unit. The kids love the matter stations we did with Ms. Frost's class out in the common area on Wednesday (pictures below). We will continue with matter next week. I'll keep you posted to when the quiz will be coming.
In social studies, we continued with our growth mindset study. The kids wrote down their thoughts about growth mindset and fixed mindset on a few "brains". Then, we colored, cut and glue them together. Super fun project that turned out great!
Below is an assignment we did a couple weeks ago (Sept 2nd) on Famous Scientist using a program called Padlet.