- Supplies needed: A couple of students still need headphones or earbuds for our classroom. These can be purchased at Target, Walmart, HEB, etc. The headphones/earbuds will be left here at school.
- Scholastic Book Orders due on September 25th (online orders - Your Class Activation Code NP79X). The link to order is here Scholastic Book Clubs . We have a Class Wish List here if you so choose to purchase books for our classroom library as well. These kids love to read!!! Plus, I get points for every book order that is placed, which means tons of FREE books for our classroom. Please, take a moment to look at the flyers online and place an order. You can order from other grade levels too!
- Xtramath - Great website for students to brush up on their math facts! Perfect for homework (math facts)! I sent home an Xtramath enrollment information flyer yesterday in Thursday folders. Please, take a few moments to enroll your child. Here is the link with all the student PIN numbers you will need (not on the flyer). Click Here.
- Homework - Homework is given out every Monday and needs to be returned on Fridays. I had 3 students forget to turn in their homework today. Please, remind your child of the Friday due date.
- Fall Picture Day is this Tuesday, September 22nd
- Early Release Day is this Wednesday, September 23rd (students released at 12:45pm)
- Orange Leaf Spirit Day on September 23rd
- Bluebonnet Book Program - Check out the list of Bluebonnet books HERE Our class also has a Bluebonnet Book Wish List - Click Here.
- Science Test (Energy Unit) - Friday, September 25th
- Math Test (Place Value, Rounding/Estimation, Addition and Subtraction) - either Friday, Sept. 25th or Monday, Sept. 28th
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access soon. I will begin to post grades next week. Link to Home Access Center.
- Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences: October 5th - 8th (Monday - Thursday). Please, click on the link to sign up for a time slot. If one of these times does not work for you, we can always do a conference over the phone and/or email me a time. I will see what I can do to accommodate your schedule. Thanks! Fall Conference Sign Up
*Special "Thank You" to the parents who donated "dot materials" for our fun enrichment activity today - Lucas's parents, Heidi's parents, Sharvi's parents, Bodie's parents and anyone else I may have missed!
In writing, we continue to generate ideas and small moments in preparation of our personal narrative. We created a "Quick List" of small moments. We also started on some conventions in writing with learning about "Nouns".
In reading, we continue to build up our reading stamina and examine ourselves as "good" readers. We've started the process of stopping and jotting down our internal conversations or our thinking as we read on to post it notes. The kids are learning to dig deep into their thinking by asking questions, making predictions, thinking of connections, and recognizing character traits as they read. We learned that readers can you symbols to jot down their thinking too.
In math, we our focus was on Addition this week. We learned how to use "strip diagrams" as a strategy in solving addition problems. We also refreshed our memory of how to use "regrouping" when adding too. Last but not least, we learned how to use "number lines" as a strategy in solving word problems. Our math assessment for this unit will either be on Friday, September 25th or Monday, September 28th. The assessment will cover: place value (standard form, expanded form, word form), comparing numbers (greater than, least than), rounding and estimation (tens and hundreds), addition (2-digit and 3-digit) and subtraction (2-digit and 3-digit). I might suggest that your son/daughter continue to work on any of these concepts at home by going to ixl.com. The kids know how to log into ixl.com, plus I sent home their log in information in the Thursday folder. Area of focus: Estimating and Rounding, Place Value, Addition and Subtraction.
In science, we are in deep into our Energy Unit. We completed a ton of experiments this week - Sound Energy (water glasses), Thermal Energy (food coloring dye and water), Light Energy (radiometers) and we are currently building our Solar Ovens! The kids enjoyed watching the short but very informative videos on Brain Pop Jr. Feel free to have your son/daughter watch these various energy videos at home. Click here Brainpop jr. User name: elsaengland Password: leopards. Then, go to "Science" and then to "Energy". We also did our first set of activities on STEMscopes using the lap tops! The unit assessment will be on Friday, September 25th.
In social studies, we spent this week celebrating Constitution Day! We learned about the constitution, the presidents and our government by watching various video clips, short stories and reading passages.