- Supplies needed: Each student needs a pair of headphones (earbuds) when using the lap tops or chrome books. These can be purchased at Target, Walmart, Amazon and most convenience stores for a relatively inexpensive price. If you are able to purchase 1-2 additional pairs of headphones for fellow students in need, I know it would be greatly appreciated. Please, make sure to have your student's name on the earbud/headphone case. We will keep these at school. Thank you! Last but not least, please have your child bring a small flashlight to school (if you have one). We are doing an experiment with them on Monday.
- Homework starts on Monday! Be on the look out for it. Homework will be due on Fridays.
- No Parent Information Night - instead a video has been created by the administration and our 3rd grade team to explain this year's curriculum, homework, STAAR, grades and PBL. Please, take a moment to watch the video and let me know if you have any questions. Click here: Video Additional information can be found on this website...under the "Parent Information Tab" under the "Guidelines/Schedule" tab.
- Scholastic Book Orders due on September 19th (online orders - Your Class Activation Code NP79X). The link to order is here Scholastic Book Clubs . We have a Class Wish List here if you so choose to purchase books for our classroom library as well. These kids love to read!!!
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access soon. I will begin to post grades next week. Link to Home Access Center.
- Fall Picture Day on September 22nd
- Early Release Day on September 23rd
- Orange Leaf Spirit Day on September 23rd
- Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences: October 5th - 8th (Monday - Thursday). Please, click on the link to sign up for a time slot. If one of these times does not work for you, we can always do a conference over the phone and/or email me a time. I will see what I can do to accommodate your schedule. Thanks! Fall Conference Sign Up
In writing, we continue to generate ideas and small moments in preparation of our personal narrative. We also spent 2 days discussing the importance of friendship and what it means to be a good friend. Then, we took this amazing dialogue and formulated our own "Friend Wanted" Advertisement. This was such a fun and special writing project. The kids really got into it. I have taken the liberty of typing them up and they will be displayed outside our classroom on the bulletin board.
In reading, we continue to build up our reading stamina and examine ourselves as "good" readers. We've started the process of stopping and jotting down our internal conversations or our thinking as we read on to post it notes. The kids are learning to dig deep into their thinking by asking questions, making predictions, thinking of connections, and recognizing character traits as they read.
In math, we focused on Place Value and Rounding (estimating). This seemed to be a bit challenging for some students, the concept of rounding a number to the tens, hundreds or thousands place. We've done a number of different activities to help clarify this concept. I might suggest that your son/daughter continue to work on rounding (estimating) at home by going to ixl.com. The kids know how to log into ixl.com, plus I sent home their log in information in the Thursday folder. Area of focus: Estimating and Rounding.
In science, we are digging deep into our next unit, Energy and Forms of Energy. We've explored different types of energy this week with Mrs. Raney's class. Students made discoveries and jotted down their findings in their science journals. The kids enjoyed watching the short but very informative videos on Brain Pop Jr. Feel free to have your son/daughter watch these various energy videos at home. Click here Brainpop jr. User name: elsaengland Password: leopards. Then, go to "Science" and then to "Energy". We also did our first set of activities on STEMscopes using the lap tops!
In social studies, we have finished our class's Social Contract and Consequences. We have quite the bright group of students! They did an excellent job contributing and creating these contracts. See below.