- Six Flags Reading Program: Flyer with reading log went home in Thursday folders yesterday about this super fun way for kids to be rewarded for all their amazing reading they do at home. Complete the reading log on the back of the flyer by February 21st and return it to school no later than February 22nd (last day).
- Science Fair: I just found out that the Science Fair Project is open to 3rd grade this year. This is completely OPTIONAL if your child wants to participate. Here is the link: Science Fair Information. I don't believe the projects are going to be judged this year as the fair use to just be open to 4th and 5th grade students in the past. Projects due at the school by January 19th.
- Bluebonnet Program ends on January 22nd: The Bluebonnet Reading Program will be ending soon, January 22nd. Keep on reading!!!
- STAAR Test Questions - Want to help your child prepare for the STAAR at home? Check out this link for test questions from 2015, 2014 and 2013. STAAR Test Questions
- Unusual Reading Spot Contest: Does your kiddo love to read in fun and unusual spots? Check into this fun contest! Get contest rules and info by clicking here - The 4th Annual Unusual Reading Spot Contest
- Home Access Updated: I will continue to post grades weekly into Home Access. Please, check this regularly to stay on top of your kiddos performance in class. I will forewarn you that second semester can be more challenging as we prepare these kiddos for 4th grade. Expectations on graded work will increase. Home Access Link
- Wish Lists: If you are able and wanting to contribute other resources to our learning, go to my other wish list on Amazon. "Mrs. Lilleboe's Wish List" to find my classroom wish list. Thank you!
- Xtramath & Timed Quizzes- Get those math facts down....and fast with Xtramath and timed quizzes! Find links to these sites under the "Math Links" tab and other great math websites!! Keep up the good work!
- January 13th: Library Day!
- January 14th: Expository Essay Final Draft Due
- January 15th: Science Test - Earth's Landforms and Forces
- January 15th: Reading Test - Biographies
- January 16: District Elementary Academic UIL Meet (EEE Location at Cactus Ranch Elem.)
- January 18: MLK Holiday, No School
- Janurary 20th: Geometry Test
- January 21: Science Fair Night! - Informational Flyer (click to open)
- January 21: PDQ School Spirit Night
- January 22: Last day of Bluebonnet Reading Program
- January 28: Math Night (2nd and 3rd Grades)
- January 29: PTA Sponsored Family Movie Night 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Cafeteria
Our kids love to read! Scholastic book orders can be placed anytime. Just click on the link! Class code: NP79X Link: Scholastic Books.
In Writing, we are deep into our expository writing. The kids are learning how to use a graphic organizer (boxes and bullets or spider web) to organize their main idea and supporting details. Then, using this graphic organizer to write an expository essay (similar to the 4th grade STAAR Writing prompt that is given). We will continue to work on this next week with the final draft due on Thursday, January 14th.
In Reading, we've been reading and discussing biographies. The kids have used various tools in which to document valuable information they have gathered while reading biographies this week. They've learned how to use a Head, Heart, Hands and Feet organizer and a Mini-Report (Who, What, When and Why). Our Reading Comprehension Test on biographies will be on Friday, January 15th.
In Math, we have sunk our teeth into geometry. We reviewed 2-dimensional shapes, polygons, sides, and corners. New material we started (vocabulary): 3-dimensional shapes, faces, edges, vertices, congruent, similar, quadrilaterals and diagonals. Next week will continue on this topic and add "Area" and review "perimeter". Kids can brush up on their geometry by going to the "Math Links" tab and visiting any of the geometry websites. Our test for this unit is currently scheduled for January 20th.
In Science, we've reviewed Earth's Landforms (rivers, hills, valleys, plains, mountains, lake) and started on Earth's Forces (volcanoes, earthquakes and landslides). We did our first of many experiments for this unit today - Volcanoes!! Our unit test will be this upcoming week on January 15th. Kids can review for this test by going to Brain Pop or Brain Pop Jr. Username: elsaengland Password: leopards.