- Class Wish List: Thank you to Justin's mom for getting our class new dry erasers! The kids are thrilled. The kids have also mentioned to me more than once that they also want more bungee chairs or wobble stools for the classroom. The kids get time to "sit around the room" when working with a partner, small groups and even independent work. They love our flexible seating but would love more! We also are in need of more glue sticks (our extra glue stick supply box is now empty). The kids and I would appreciate anything you can offer to help our learning. The class wish list posted here at Mrs Lilleboe's Class Wish List Thank you so much!
- Our Holiday Party - Sign Up: Here is the sign up sheet. Please, consider purchasing one or more of these items to help make our holiday party great!! The kids are looking so forward to it. Thank you to those parents that have already brought in some supplies. It is greatly appreciated! Holiday Sign Up Sheet
- Wobble Stools: The wobble stools are a hit in the classroom. Thank you to those parents that have already purchased their child a wobble stool. I wish I had one for each student. They all want one! Please, talk to your child about possibly getting him or her a wobble stool. I know they are not cheap, but the stool is your child's stool. Therefore, your child can use the stool in 4th grade and 5th grade. I would recommend the 18" or 20" stool "Active Learning Stool" Click HERE. The other great option is the 18" wobble chair by KORE Click HERE.
- Bluebonnet Book Program - Check out the list of Bluebonnet books HERE. This year's books and some of next year's books are listed on my Mrs. Lilleboe's Bluebonnet Book List.
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access every week! Link to Home Access Center.
- December 9th TODAY- Final day to place book orders for the holidays.
- December 14th - Reading DCA test - Nonfiction Reading Passage with Questions
- December 14th - Activity with our Kinder Buddies
- December 14th - Hour of Code with Mr. Weiler
- December 15th - Eslot (Interest Groups) in the morning
- December 15th - Library Day - Make sure to return books or recheck them out for the break!
- December 15th - 3rd Grade Winter Parties @ 1:30pm
- December 16 - January 3rd - Winter Break
In writing, we continue to research our PBL project and narrow down our focus. We sorted our PBL notefacts into our PBL journals in preparation for our written project. We also learned how to write a "Cause and Effect Summary". We used the book we've been using for a variety of cause and effect assignments called A River Ran Wild.
In reading, we are still in our nonfiction expository unit. This week we focused on the "cause and effect" reading strategy and used a variety of sources (books, articles, online sources). We also reviewed some reading strategies (main idea and supporting details), plus we learned about Author's Purpose and Context Clues. I have some reading strategy/comprehension practice links on my website under the "Reading Links" tab for additional practice.
In math, the DCA test for fractions and division was this week on Wednesday. Then, we started in on our next unit Geometry. We focused on polygons this week. Next week we will continue with 2D shapes, polygons, congruent and 3D shapes. When we return from break we'll continue with Geometry looking at perimeter and area. There are tons of Geometry skills on ixl.com for additional practice.
In science, we wrapped up our Forces, Magnetism and Gravity unit on Tuesday with our DCA test. The kids did a Kahoot! review before the test to help them out a bit. They love Kahoots! Then, we started our next unit which is Landforms and Earth's Forces. We reviewed landforms these last 2 days (as students are taught landforms in grades K-2). Next week, we'll begin our exploration and inquiry into Earth's Forces (Volcanos, Earthquakes and Landslides). We will continue with this unit when we return from winter break.
In social studies, we have been learning about maps and globes. We did another activity on how to read a map. We also spent alittle bit of time talking about Pearl Harbor since it was the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor invasion.