- Thank You Parents! For all the wonderful donations to our Fall Celebration Party we had today and to the Coins for Coats project. We have some amazing and supportive parents!
- October Scholastic Book Orders: If you are wanting to place an October book order please do so by Sunday. I will put the order in on Monday, Oct. 31st. Heads up the new Diary of a Wimpy Book is coming out in November. Your child may be asking for this one! The link to order is here Scholastic Book Clubs
- Spelling and Homework: In an effort to save paper, we are asking that the kids just "pull up" the homework assignment on the home computer or laptop and complete the work in the homework spiral notebook. Students should label each problem and strategy. A reading log and math facts log needs to be recorded (Monday - Thursday). The link to the 3rd grade website is on the "Welcome" page. Students are expected to turn in their homework spiral notebook every Friday morning.
- Spelling has been added to the homework. The kids have been placed into spelling groups based upon their performance on a grade level spelling pretest. Spelling words came home on Monday. They are given 1 set of spelling words per 2 weeks. Kids are to do 4 spelling activities from the Spelling Bingo sheet in their homework spiral over the course of the 2 weeks they have their word list. The spelling test for each group will be on a Friday every 2 weeks. Our next test is on Friday, November 11.
- Bluebonnet Book Program - Check out the list of Bluebonnet books HERE. Our class also has a Bluebonnet Book Wish List - Click Here. The kids are loving this program!!!
- Home Access Center: Make sure to start checking Home Access every week! Link to Home Access Center.
- Optional - Headphones: Your child may still want headphones or earbuds for our classroom. A few of them have already broken. I would ask your child. These can be purchased at Target, Walmart, HEB, etc. The headphones/earbuds will be left here at school.
- October 31st - New spelling word list - next spelling test on Friday, Nov. 11
- November 1st - Poetry reading unit test
- November 3rd - Last day to submit Yearbook Cover Art Contest entries
- November 5th - Last day to submit PTA Reflections Contest entries
- November 11th - Veteran's Day assembly (in the morning)
- November 15th - 17th - Book Fair!
- November 17th - International Children's Festival Night and Book Fair!
- November 19th - 27 Thanksgiving break
***Scholastic October book flyers went home yesterday. You can place an online book order at anytime! I'll will submit our class order at the end of each month (October 31st). Don't forget to use your FREE book coupon that was sent home 2 weeks ago! Order HERE
In writing, we picked one of our favorite poems we have written this year. Revised and edited it. We'll write our final draft next week. We also have our Poetry Test on Tuesday next week.
In reading, we continued to read many types of poetry. The read a funny poem called "The Marrog" and did a visualization of the poem in our reading journals. We also read a narrative poem called "Buying a Puppy". This was an inferring assignment. We did the first half of the poem as a class, the second half was done independently. This was a graded assignment. We also did a "practice" poetry reading comprehension assignment (similar to the test on Tuesday) as a class today. The kids did quite well on it too!
In math, we wrapped up our multiplication unit on Thursday with the test. We'll start fractions next week!
In science, we wrapped up our forms of energy unit with a test today. We'll start our next unit, natural resources next week.
In social studies, we focused on the work "Empathy" and what it means to be empathetic towards others. We did an activity on Padlet.
We had fun with our kinder buddies today. We used cut apples to "stamp" orange pumpkins on craft paper. Then, had fun creating a fall scene with tissue paper, pipe cleaners and fall leaves.