- Class Dojo - We will start a fun, interactive behavior communication program this upcoming week. The kids love Class Dojo! They will get a chance to check how they are doing during the day to adjust behavior if needed or celebrate their awesome efforts! They continue to amaze me with helpful suggestions and comments to help build a strong, loving community in our classroom. There is a FREE app that will work on most smart phones. I highly recommend downloading this FREE app so that you can "check in" on how your kiddo is doing at anytime of day! Feel free to send me or your kiddo messages via Class Dojo style too! The invitation was sent home yesterday in Thursday folders. It has the Parent and the Student log in codes to access Class Dojo. So sign up today!!
- Labor Day weekend - no school on Monday
- Library Day every Tuesday.
- Math unit quiz on Wednesday, September 7
- Spirit Assembly and Grandparents Day Luncheon on September 9
- Back to School Parent Night - September 15 @ 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Scholastic Book Orders due by September 23rd. Place your orders online - Your Class Activation Code NP79X). The link to order is HERE. Reading is thinking, so keep on reading!!! We have a Class Wish List here too if you so choose to purchase books for our classroom library as well. These kids love to read!!! Plus, I get points for every book order that is placed, which means tons of FREE books for our classroom. Please, take a moment to look at the flyers online and place an order. You can order from other grade levels too!
- Early Release Day on September 28
*I will begin putting grades into the Home Access for assignments and quizzes next week. If you are unsure how to set up Home Access so you can view your child's progress (grades), please click HERE.
This Week's Class Happenings:
In writing, we continue to generate ideas and small moments in preparation of our personal narrative. We created a "Quick List" of small moments (people, places and things). We created a Heart Map of things we love to help us as we generate small moment stories.
In reading, we had a fun full week diving into our curriculum. We started our Reading Workshop. The kids explored our classroom library and found "just right books" for themselves. We've discussed at length the role of a good reader and what that looks like in our classroom. Reading is Thinking!!
In math, we've been working on our first unit of study, Charts and Graphs. We examined and created a bar graph, pictograph and a dot plot graph. Our vocabulary for this unit is: data, frequency chart, tally chart, key, bar graph, pictograph, dot plot graph, and scale. We also talked about synonyms of addition and subtraction as it applies to math word problems. For example, other words that mean the same thing as "addition" are: combine, altogether, join, more, and total. We did a fun math activity using raisins! The kids counted the number of raisins in their small box. Then, we collected the data from each student and created a Frequency chart. Lastly, the kids drew a dot plot graph using this raisin data. There will be a quiz on Wednesday. If you want to help your child prepare for the quiz at home they can play the online games and do the quizzes posted on Google Classroom. They have already logged into Google Classroom a few times this year. They are familiar on how to do this.
- Logging in at home - kids all have their own gmail.com account (username and password).
- Username - firstname.lastname@example.org (s + student number)
- Password - an assigned short compound word (located in their Passport folder). Many of the kids have this memorized now.
In Science, we studied science tools, safety rules/expectations, famous scientist and completed an experiment using the scientific method.
We met with our Kinder Buddies! Our third grade students really enjoying becoming the "older" buddy.